What should I do if I think I have dystonia?

If you think you may have dystonia and it has not yet been diagnosed, you should see your doctor and ask to be referred to a neurologist specialized in movement disorders. If you are diagnosed with blepharospasm, you may be treated by an ophthalmologist. If you have laryngeal dystonia, you may see an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist. During your consultation with the appropriate specialist, you will undergo an examination and you will also be asked many questions to establish if there is any family history of neurological problems including dystonia. Proper diagnosis will be contingent on results from a thorough patient history, a careful family history, and complete physical and neurological examinations. Laboratory tests, imaging studies and possibly genetic testing may be necessary to reach a diagnosis.